Our monthly Sunday Pot Luck Meal will not be held the first week in June, due to the festal meals in the weeks at the end of May.
Calling everyone (especially Men): We need more help in cleaning up following Coffee Hour and meals at the Church (especially the monthly Pot Luck meals). Since the cooking and set up are usually done by the women, this is a terrific time for the men in our parish to also serve. Please remember that those hosting coffee would always appreciate a little help in setting things back right afterwards. The more hands, the quicker the work.
* Special Services to be held during the month of May:
Wednesday, May 12 – Orthros/Divine Liturgy (Feast of Ascension)
Saturday, May 22 – Orthros/Divine Liturgy (Saturday of the Souls)
* We will celebrate the Feast of Pentecost with a picnic (complete with games supervised by Kh. Be'Be') here at the church on Sunday, May 23rd. More information will be available at a later date.
* As is our custom, we will holding the Kneeling Vespers of Pentecost on Sunday evening, May 23rd, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
* There is no fasting during the week following Pentecost. The Fast of the Apostles will begin Monday, May 31st.
* This year's Parish Life Conference is being hosted by St. George's church in Jacksonville, FL June 16-20. Registration materials are available online.
* Our next time to serve a meal at the Stewpot will be on October 30th .
Fasting Discipline for May
Traditional fasting (no meat, poultry, fish eggs, dairy, wine and oil) is observed on Wednesdays and Fridays of May, apart from the week following the Feast of Pentecost on Sunday, May 23rd, during which there is no fasting. The Apostle's Fast this year extends from May 31st until the Feast of the Apostles Peter and Paul on Tuesday, June 29th.
Major Commemorations During May
May 10 Apostle Simon the Zealot
May 21 Sts. Constantine and Helen
May 25 The Forerunner (3rd discovery)
If you are the last to leave the building, please make sure that the heating and cooling unit in the Fellowship Hall is set to the optimum temperature for the building when unoccupied.
Quotable:"O the compassion of God! I am an abomination to God and men, yet the Lord so loveth me, giveth me understanding and healeth me, and Himself doth teach my soul humility and love, patience and obedience, and hath poured out the fullness of His mercy upon me....O wonder!"
- St. Silouan of Mount Athos
Weekly Quote: "You will be able to check envy if you rejoice with the man whom you envy whenever he rejoices, and grieve whenever he grieves."
- St. Maximos the Confessor
WORSHIP: Sunday, May 16, 2010 (Sunday of the Holy Fathers of the First Council of Nicea )
Scriptures: Acts 20:16-18, 28-36; John 17:1-13
Celebrant: Father John
Epistle Reader: Tom Willingham
Coffee Hour: Strains